Nic Compton, well respected classic boat journalist, was so taken with Nigella that he has just written a piece about her in the November issue of Classic Boat magazine. He tells the story of Nigella from her beginnings as Leo Rothschild’s elegant motor launch, through to her brief time spent as a museum piece in Cornwall and subsequent restoration at the Elephant Boatyard.
Built in 1959, Nigella was used by Rothschild to cross from Exbury on the Beaulieu River over to the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes. She was effectively the first prototype of the famous Nelson motorboats, and delivered style, comfort and exceptional performance. After 44 years of service, Rothschild donated Nigella to the National Maritime Museum in Cornwall which is where Tom Richardson found her. After being brought back to the Elephant Boatyard, Nigella has been lovingly restored, and now cuts a dash across the Solent where she makes the perfect day cruiser.
This wonderful image of Nigella was found in the Royal Yacht Squadron archives. There are lots more photos of Nigella on our Classic Restorations page.